Our mission is to make our roads safer by researching the connection between humans and vehicles.
U.S. 2018 motor vehicle crash statistics:
- There were a total of 36,560 traffic fatalities, including 4,985 involving motorcyclists and 6,283 pedestrians.
- 1.9 million people injured
- Alcohol-impaired-driving fatalities accounted for 29 percent of all traffic-related fatalities.
- Crashes were up by as much as 6 percent in Colorado, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington, compared with neighboring states that haven’t legalized marijuana for recreational use.
- 9.5% of all crashes and 10.8% of higher-severity crashes involved drowsiness.
- Distracted driving claimed 2,841 lives in 2018 alone. Among those killed: 1,730 drivers, 605 passengers, 400 pedestrians, and 77 bicyclists.
- Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for ages 5 through 9 and 15 through 24, and the second-leading cause of death for all other age groups over 1 year of age.
- The economic cost to society exceeds $445 billion.
Partnering with us
We often work with:
- Automotive industry
- Tier one and automotive suppliers
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Federal and state government entities
- Computer and software industry
- Health sciences
In FY20, we worked with nearly 50 organizations, including the U.S. DOT, NHTSA, Toyota, General Motors, Leidos, and several other research centers and universities.
How to work with us
The NADS is open for use by anyone interested in sponsoring and conducting driving-based development and research. This is a national, shared-use facility that has collaborated with industry, military, and federal and state governments.
Work at the NADS can be done in a variety of ways, including (but not limited to):
- Using our suite of driving simulators and in-house expertise to sponsor and conduct research and/or clinical studies.
- Utilizing our experience to design and build a miniSim driving simulator specifically for your needs.
- Collaborating with our staff and faculty to enhance the functionality of your existing simulation platform.
- Utilizing our expertise in writing in-house simulation software to develop applications suited for your needs.
Email us at email@example.com to talk more about how to partner with us.